Information for Departments
The Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) is more than just a test to measure a candidate’s abilities to perform the physically demanding tasks of firefighting. It is a program that involves comprehensive recruitment of a diverse candidate pool, a mentoring and training process to help candidates prepare for the demands of the CPAT, and a rigorous assessment of the physical abilities of the candidates. CPAT is the internationally recognized physical ability standard for entry-level firefighters.
CFFJAC CPAT Testing Centers
CFFJAC was the first non-fire department licensed to administer the CPAT. Since 2000, CFFJAC has helped over 120 California fire departments integrate the CPAT into their hiring process. Fire chiefs, labor presidents and human resource staff have come to rely on the CFFJAC to provide the technical expertise necessary to implement the CPAT and broaden their candidate pool. That experience gained with over 25 years of working directly with fire departments on their recruiting and training, uniquely defines the CFFJAC as the “Gold Standard” in administering the complete CPAT program. This standard assures fire departments that a candidate possessing the CFFJAC CPAT Card of Completion is ready for the next step in their hiring process.
The Benefits of the CPAT as Administered by CFFJAC
- Cost-effectiveness: There is NO charge to any fire department for accepting the CFFJAC CPAT Card of Completion in the hiring process. Once a fire department has accepted the CFFJAC CPAT for their department, candidates who have completed the CPAT at any CFFJAC facility are in the candidate pool available to all fire departments. This eliminates the high cost of a department offering its own CPAT and reduces the testing liability.
- Resources: CFFJAC has committed staff, facilities and equipment to provide the CPAT to the entire state. Sites in both northern and southern California assure a constantly available, diverse candidate pool that is available when any fire department is seeking qualified applicants.
- Transportability Study: CFFJAC has assisted over 45 fire departments complete the transportability study. The purpose of the transportability study is to demonstrate that the major work behaviors required of the participants in the CPAT are sufficiently similar to the major work behaviors required by other users of the CPAT in the hiring process. CFFJAC can help your fire department complete the transportability study.
- Recruitment: Fire department job announcements are provided to our entire CPAT candidate pool. Recruitment brochures and posters are available to CFFJAC participating departments, at no charge. Click here for information on CFFJAC recruitment tools.
- Labor-management cooperation: As a true labor-management partnership, CFFJAC is committed to insuring that every fire department in the state can have candidates that are physically able to handle the demands of modern-day firefighting. CFFJAC is accountable to both the State Fire Marshal and California Professional Firefighters to assure that standards are met and not compromised.
Contact us for more information
Toll Free Number: (877) 648-2728