Candidate Physical Ability Test
The FCTC CPAT Testing Center is an indoor facility and is designed with the firefighter candidate in mind.
The Candidate Physical Ability Test, administered by CFFJAC, measures the capabilities of firefighting recruits along eight job-specific areas. Click on each thumbnail image to see the photo full-sized or view the slideshow.
Ceiling Breach & Pull
For a modest registration fee, candidates receive an orientation and a rigorous, professionally run test covering the eight basic skills. For an additional fee, the CPAT equipment will be available to candidates on scheduled practice days.
The International standards of the Candidate Physical Ability Test states that each candidate have the opportunity to attend at least two orientation sessions within 8 weeks prior to taking the test. Additionally, the pre-test program offers each candidate the opportunity to perform at least two timed practice runs prior to the test itself. If you choose not to participate in this pre-test program, you will be required to sign a waiver acknowledging that you are aware of the pre-test program, and have declined to include it in your preparations to complete the CPAT.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Must show government issued photo identification
The dress code is strictly enforced for safety. The CPAT dress code for all events
- Long Pants (No Shorts)
- T-Shirt or sweatshirt
- Footwear with no open heel or toe (No five finger shoes, barefoot running shoes, individual toe shoes)
- No loose or restrictive jewelry
Candidates must be in proper CPAT attire before participating in any CPAT event.
Register and Schedule Early:
Delays in taking the CPAT may result in not meeting fire department application deadlines and may not allow for ample time for the pre-test preparation program.
- $150.00 for two Orientations and Test
- $25.00 for each timed practice run (two recommended as part of the pre-test program)
- $20.00 for lost or damaged CPAT Cards
- For information on financial assistance visit the California Fire Foundation website
at www.cafirefoundation.org under scholarships and grants
- Fees must be paid when scheduling your CPAT event to secure your appointment
- Visa or MasterCard only
- All fees are non-refundable
- A $50.00 fee will be charged for rescheduling requests made less than 2 business days prior to a scheduled event
- We DO NOT accept reschedule requests on date of event. Failure to attend your scheduled event will result in a forfeiture of fees
- Unless arrangements have been made, prepaid events that are not scheduled and completed within 24 months of the original payment date will be cancelled and all fees forfeited
CFFJAC FCTC Testing Centers Locations
|FCTC Testing Center –Orange
626 N. Eckhoff Street
Orange, CA 92868
Click here for map
|FCTCTesting Center – Livermore
526 Commerce Way
Livermore, CA 94551
Click here for map
FCTCTesting Center- Sacramento